A short history
There are several theses about Rapagnano etymology. According to the most acclaimed one, the word Rapagnano comes from “Ripa di Giano” (Janus’ steep hill) because on the top of the hill there used to be a temple dedicated to the solar deity “Janus”. Another commonly accepted opinion is that our village, Rapagnano, has derived its name from the cultivation of turnips or radishes spread in its territory.
This idea is clearly expressed by the municipal coat of arms carved in the center of the façade of the town hall. In fact it shows a cypress that rises from the highest of the three hills and on the right there is a comet while on the left there is a turnip.
Another depiction of the turnip is shown in the embossing presses on some documents of the municipality of Rapagnano which are kept in the State Archives of Rome. In fact there is a circle and inside it there are Saint John and Saint Thomas and between them a turnip.
Rapagnano is also quoted in some documents by Pliny the Elder. It was dwelled since the pre-roman era, in fact in 1880, in the Saint Tiburzio area, were found some “Piceni”archaeological objects such as shields, spears, bronze helmets and the “Disco Corazza” a sort of hard armour. They all are of great value, dating back to the sixth cent. B. C. and are now kept at the Archaeological Museum in Ancona.
In a document dating back to the year 1059, the Castle of Rapagnano was registered as a possession under the ecclesiastic jurisdiction of the Fermo bishops.
Clearly a pro-Pope Castle as it is shown from its “Guelfi” battlemented towers, Rapagnano was disputed over for years between Fermo and Montegiorgio.
In 1229 Rapagnano became an Imperial possession, but few years later, in 1244, was conquered again by Fermo.
In the XV cent. it was besieged and conquered by Carlo Malatesta.
In Rapagnano was born Giovanni XVII, appointed Pope in 1003.
During the VII-VIII centuries, Rapagnano was deeply restored after an earthquake: the extension of the main square, the rebuilding of the churches and of some palaces such as the Town Hall.
Places to visit in Rapagnano:
- Town Hall Palace
- Town wall, Passages and Towers
- Saint Jhon the Baptist Church
- Saint Rosalia Church
- Saint Anthony Church
- Parish Museum
Feasts and festivals
- “Festa delle Cove”(Sheaves Feast), in July
- “Sagra della Spuntatura” (Guts Feast), in July
- “Sfilata di Carri e Maschere”, ( Pageant and Masks Parade), in July
- “Festa della Birra” (Beer Festival), in July